Saturday, June 14, 2014

EFY-ing.

For the past three weeks, I have been spending my days and nights herding rambunctious teenagers across college campuses, eating nothing but greasy cafeteria food, and discussing the gospel of Jesus Christ non-stop. Being a counselor for the Especially for Youth (EFY) program has certainly had its ups and downs thus far, but most certainly the ups are in the majority.

My overall impression is that our future is in good hands. Yes, the teenagers I have associated with in these few weeks have their flaws: they frequently need to be reminded to be respectful, to put their phones away, and to be a little more reverent, but mostly they are just stellar people. They are confident, strong, and desirous to be and do good. They are so much stronger than I was at their age, and much more willing to give service and share the gospel with those around them. I know we often despair at the state of today's youth with their media addictions and tight pants, but we also forget that they're still growing up. And not to mention growing up in an entirely different world than we knew, at least a completely different world than I knew just 10 years ago (or less). They still have their personalities to thresh out and their best friends to choose, and they still have some of those defining mistakes to make which will alter their futures for better or worse. These young people have good heads on their shoulders, and have a better grasp on tolerance and compassion than I ever did or do have currently.

All will be well.

I am sure of it.

-KB

1 comment:

  1. I just barely noticed you updated your blog--two weeks after! Glad you have this opportunity to be a counselor at EFY!

    ReplyDelete