Sunday, May 4, 2014

The Spring Semester Quinsy: Part 2

I should not be allowed to leave Flagstaff, for every time I do I come down with some sort of medical disturbance. A couple weeks ago, I went to Mesa for the Easter Pageant and developed what I assumed to be allergies. Well with me, nothing is ever just allergies. Just ask my junior high classmates. They don't remember much about me, only that I was the girl with the tissue box. I'm sure everyone voted for me to be most likely to be perpetually ill. I was a magnificent and alluring thirteen-year-old. Now I've just become more discreet, and can get away with always having those mini packets of Kleenex on hand. I become more and more like an old woman each and every day.

This last bout of illness has been a real doozy. I am not going to bother specifying how much Kleenex and toilet paper (a suitable Kleenex substitute) I have been through in the past couple of weeks, but I have developed quite the talent for shooting baskets with used Kleenex from my bed to the waste basket. I should have been keeping score because now I'm quite the shot. It's a shame it's not a real sport because by now I could be a professional.

But like I said, I've been ill. Not dangerously. Not life-threateningly. But certainly nuisancey. Being ill just disrupts normal life, and when it comes down to the last month (or so) of a semester, nuisances and disruptions are the last thing I am equipped to manage. And being adult about an illness for me is like asking me to walk past the seafood section of the grocery store without getting squeamish. Not going to happen. So I have once again resorted to much whining, moping, and excessive sleeping (which I haven't the time for).

But I have only a week left of the semester. A week left of projects and reading novels. A week left of grading papers. A week left of my strange grad school life. Because it's almost summertime, and what do we do in the summertime when all the world is green? As for myself, I will be prancing away as an EFY counselor, and I intend on having the best summer ever. Completely free of allergies or colds, thank you very much.

Ta-ta for now.

1 comment:

  1. This is great writing, but I'm sorry you've been sick especially at crucial times like now at the end of the semester. We're praying for you! We should get you in to see a doctor and get to the bottom of what's going on BEFORE you prance away as an EFY counselor on the best summer ever! Love you!

    ReplyDelete