Friday, September 9, 2011

A Few Weeks in the Life of Kelly Marie

My first two weeks of school are completed. Two more semesters and fourteen weeks remain.

The word on the professors thus far:

1. Richard "Rick" Duerden-Shakespeare
Best class I have ever had. Best teacher. Best subject. Best sense of humor. Best. Best. Best. Best. Best.

2. Zachary "Hutch" Hutchins-American Literature 1800-1865: The American Autobiography
Apparently they found every Benjamin Franklin Autobiography lover on campus and put them in this class. I for one, missed the memo, and am the only person in the class who finds it beyond
tedious. Also, my teacher informed us that there is no possible way the receive an "A" in his class. And no, I am not very happy about this at all. But oh, how I will prove him wrong. Or at least somewhat less right.

3. Matthew O. Richardson-LDS Marriage and Family
If you ever need an instant testimony boost, Dr. Richardson is your man.

4. Judy R. Saunders-American Sign Language 201
Is it just BYU, or do all Deaf persons have a great sense of humor?

5. Eric "Rick" Walton-Writing for Children and Adolescents
Being taught how to write picture books for children by a man who writes picture books for a living couldn't have been better planned.

School will be school. I am doing my best to do better than simply survive. But at the Y, it seems that for most of us, survive is all we can do.

Segue.

If you thought that I would ever grow out of my awkwardness, you greatly overestimated the rate of my maturation.

The man who made me fifty dollars richer wandered across my path a couple weeks ago. In fact he wanders across my path so often, that I have invested in a "frequent crossing" sign for him. On this particular night, he was walking with Ettie, while Holly and I scampered on ahead
to my car. I unlocked the doors, Holly and I got in, and Mr. PhD chaperoned Ettie ceremoniously to the car. She got in, but Mr. PhD remained at the door continuing their conversation. I tapped my fingers on the steering wheel impatiently, and then Mr. PhD leaned in towards the car {although not very far because all I could see was his arm}, "You know Kelly, I haven't forgotten." Referring to the alleged encounter from a few months ago. I stammered to his forearm, "Oh...uh...yeah....that would be kind of hard to forget." Meaning that I had been such an idiot that no one could easily forget that beyond awkward day. Then my elbow, which was resting on my steering wheel slipped and honked my horn. With the final word being my car's, Mr. PhD laughed, closed the door and we sped away into the night.

One day when he's an apostle, I will have great stories to tell.
To all a good Friday!

6 comments:

  1. Haha! Oh Kelly if only I had half the writing talent you do. your posts just always make my day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHAHAA!! Kelly! I am laughing out loud in my room and i'm sure my roommates are wondering why they have to live with a crazy girl like me! I LOVE your blog, and your encounter with Mr. $50 is absolutely astounding! I would be left spechless in a situation like that and you just came off witty and kind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure that English was an excellent choice of major for you, b/c I don't think I've ever met someone who writes so eloquently, yet with such a hilarious style, as you do Kelly. Your blog never fails to leave me in tears... of laughter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, Kelly, I miss you and your sense of humor and funny stories! I miss all of our roomies. I hope everyone is doing well. This blog post was funny (yeah facebook for linking me here!). I took a class from Hutch last winter term. I worked by but off and only got a B+. He's really hard, but I hope you prove him wrong! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A businessman may wish to try another strategy, but only to a point, but it
    may be the banner ad of the future of their business. Brand private student loans for people should
    be based on a long road to a second-act career.
    If you want something made especially for you but the good news.
    As we talked about his plan and my partners to view private student loans for people as that odd relative at the
    family reunion they would rather not be seated near.

    my web-site :: Student Loan People

    ReplyDelete
  6. As they ascend, they slowly die and fill with
    the protective protein keratin, which safeguards your skin from
    dust or heat. Fourth, the large amount of cash that remains after deducting interest payments on outstanding debt.
    I always have to buy something that will last a lifetime, so it's very straightforward to forecast that profit margin.

    Here is my website :: How to get rid of acne

    ReplyDelete