Thursday, January 6, 2011

Classy 2011

Until the morning of December 31, 2010, I had never thought about the year 2011. Yes, I knew it would come, but I never thought about it. Probably because of my dislike of the number 11. It's just not a very pretty number compared to numbers like 10, 12, and 13. So in my mind, 2011 didn't exist because I always skipped right over it and planned for 2012. I had determined in my mind that 2010 would be "The Year." Have you ever done that? Where you decided that the culminating climax or epoch of your life will happen in a certain year? Well, I did, and 2012 was it.

Then, 2011 loomed up behind me (or in front of me rather) and I had no idea what to do. I was discussing the idea with my roommate, Holly, and we decided that we would dedicate 2011 to being classy. In my mind, 2011 is the perfect year to become classy. (Especially if 2012 is going to be the best year of my life). Thus, 2011 is going to be classy. We are going to wear classy clothes and say classy things and be generally classy. I bought an Audrey Hepburn calendar from Walmart and covered the wall over our television with the pictures. It's a reminder to us to be consistently classy. How can you not act classy when Audrey (the definition of classy herself) is staring at you?

I don't know what sort of classy adventures will come my way this year, but I am determined to become a better person because of all of it. I looked up the definition of classy in the dictionary, and all it said was "elegant" and "stylish." That definition just doesn't suffice for me.
To me, being classy is:

1. Presenting yourself well. Dress up on the days when you feel the worst. I did that for the first time the other day, and it really did work. I had a wonderful day! I know it wasn't wholly because of the clothes, but I didn't feel grungy. I carried myself better, and as a result I felt better, and had a better attitude.

2. Raising one's standard of living by educating one's self and saying good things. Associate yourself with good books and other good forms of media. Broaden your vocabulary and attempt to stay away from negative thoughts and words. Be kind.

3. Taking care of your body. Simple as that. (I know it's really not simple, but...it really is).

4. Expressing gratitude. Tell others you are grateful for what they do for you. Most importantly, when you pray, explain to your Heavenly Father that you are grateful to him for the specific blessings he gives to you.

My goals for this year, are somewhat along these lines, but much more specific. This year for me, isn't really about being like Audrey Hepburn. Although that would be great. What I want to accomplish this year, is to become more like the woman I have always hoped to be. I want to have greater self-confidence. I want to show more compassion and patience and charity to those around me. I want to get my body back into shape. I want to grow intellectually and care for the talents I already posses. I want to establish a closer relationship with my Heavenly Father, Savior, family, and friends.

It's going to be classy.

4 comments:

  1. well hello, fancy nancy! i'm so happy you're here! :D love, LOVE this post and i'm so excited to see what classy adventures you enjoy this year (in preparation for 2012). :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. “For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.” - Audrey Hepburn. This post made me think of that quote. I love this idea. The world is in such a need of classy people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Classy is good! I don't like the definition "Elegant & Stylish" at all. I like your definition LOTS better! Go for it and make this year classy even though you wanted to skip over it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly. . . i wanna be classy with chu. haha

    ReplyDelete