Saturday, October 16, 2010

Not Your Ordinary Von Trappe Family Singers

I pride myself in the fact that I come from the best family in the history of this planet, and seeing as they are so great, they often star the leading roles in my midnight dreams. I will relate one that occurred recently:

I was back home in Arizona with my parents and my sister Ettie, and for some reason the Nazis (or some other frigtheningly awful group of villains)were coming to our house to take us away. One of my father's good friends was assigned to guard us so we couldn't leave. How we had no idea he was a Nazi sympathizer, I'll never know. Before I knew it, my whole family (brothers, sisters, in-laws, nieces, and nephews etc.) showed up at the house and was involved in the escape plans. It was very Great Escape-esque, but much less organized and much more chaotic. Somehow we came up with an entourage of bicylces and for some reason, I was assigned to be on the unicycle tandem. I will explain how said contraption works: A normal tandem is lined up vertically, but a unicycle tandem is arranged horizontally so it is basically a line of unicylces welded together. Maybe I should patent that idea...If my family can handle a unicycle tandem, anyone can. So here I was on the unicycle tandem while holding my youngest nephew who is just a baby, with two other nephews, Joshua and Benjamin, and one of my sisters. I know what you're thinking, "Wow, Kelly, you're really talented! You can ride a unicycle while holding a baby!" Well, yes, my dream self can unicycle with a baby, she gets to do all sorts of neat things. But, unfortunately, my seat was too high for me to reach the ground, so my sister's job was to keep us all balanced when we had to stop.

So my family escaped with several tandems and other bicycles laden with nieces, nephews, and the rest of my family. My dream ended before I knew if we actually escaped the Nazis (which I hope we did), but the whole family ended up singing "Edelweiss" while we rode our bikes (and unicycles) down main street. We sounded perfect. What other family do you know that can sing "Edelweiss" in perfect harmony while escaping Nazis on bicycles? If you ask me, the original Von Trappe Family should have thought about using bikes instead of hiking over the Alps.

4 comments:

  1. Perhaps singing Edelweis while riding bicycles would have helped their escape be much smoother. HAHA I still loved that we were riding a unicycle tandem and singing beautifully. HAHAHAHA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly, I laughed so hard I cried. My husband thinks I'm nutso. Your dream self is amazing. I think I'll be laughing about this for the rest of the day. :) Good thing I didn't read it BEFORE church. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for updating! It's good to know that your dreams are still in sync with our family's escapades! Too bad you couldn't have been here to help with James & Megan's move! We need babysitters! Maybe we should've sung Edelweis! Maybe we will sing it while we unpack the boxes and put stuff away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly B, love love your talented baby-holding unicycling dream self. Also your real life self. MISS YOU TONS! And also. You are great. Have an awesome day!

    ReplyDelete