Thursday, October 21, 2010

Balance & Overload

Last weekend, a good friend chastised me for being anti-social. He was right to chastise me, but that doesn't mean that I enjoyed it. However, I do not know how to solve my anti-social problem. I don't try to be anti-social, it just comes naturally to me while I'm going to school. He thinks I'm wasting my college years by never leaving my house or the library. He thinks I have the potential to be a fun/cool person if I would just put myself out there. What a good friend. I can't decide if I want to keep him around or not...

My rebuttal: Believe it or not, I enjoy people, and I'm not completely awkward in social situations. I can meet new people and make new friends all by myself now, sometimes I even make people laugh. Can you believe it?! At the same time, I feel like getting my education is my main priority. I feel like I'm working in an increasingly narrow window of time to get this done.
Is that true?

His rebuttal: He tells me I am in the prime of my life and my college years should be filled with memories of good friends and great dates (do great dates ever happen?). He thinks I can't have a great time at college if I spend my Friday nights with my roommates watching chick flicks and embroidering handkerchiefs.
Well why not?

Lou's Grandma's rebuttal: We (being young women in general) will never get any prettier than we are right now. It's all downhill from here.
Please say I will somehow turn out like a good wine (not that I know anything about wine) that only gets better with age.

Ladies' (beyond college age) rebuttal: They tell me that I only think I'm busy now. Just wait until I'm married and have children. I'll only get busier.
So what you're saying is that I'm never going to sleep again, because I'm already running on only 5 or 6 hours of sleep (max) as it is.

So tell me your opinion on the subject through my handy dandy poll on the right. In the meantime, I'm going to spend my weekend studying for midterms and writing more papers. And no, I will not be doing anything social this weekend if you were wondering.

6 comments:

  1. Well, in my opinion, school is a lot of work, especially when you're Kelly who wants top-notch grades! And there's nothing wrong with that. I just don't know what to say to this. On the one hand, you really may never have a time like that again. I have lots of happy memories from college and being with friends and whatnot. I hope you will too. But I wasn't way social either. So I just don't know. I didn't date a lot, but I already had somebody lined up that I was going to marry.

    So maybe I'm not qualified to answer at all! Your situation is different from mine. I guess in the end I think you ought to do what you feel you should. And that's all you can do, really! But do make time for boys here and there. :) They can be lots of fun.

    5-6 hours of straight sleep without interruption would be heaven to me! Enjoy that too! But they do learn to just sleep eventually! You will sleep someday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to what Christine said. I'm not qualified either, but I do have one thing to say. You WILL get prettier when you fall in love and when you have kids. It adds some real depth to your inward and outward beauty. The more beautiful acts of love you give the more beautiful you will be to those who love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why don't my comment stick? Or do you edit them off???

    ReplyDelete
  4. "God does not begin by asking our ability, but more of our availability. If we then prove our dependability, He will then increase our capability."

    --Elder Neal A. Maxwell

    He will bless you! You will stretch and grow and increase in your ability to juggle more! Keep Him your top priority!

    You don't have an "ALL OF THE ABOVE" button on your survey. You can do whatever you want to do! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i don't know all the answers, but i'm pretty sure you can find them here:

    http://onebrickshy.tumblr.com/post/1401815911/cannot-look-away-via-ratherchildish

    honestly, can you tell me that your life has not been changed after seeing these?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to hear about your escapades this weekend! I want all the details. Be brave and go have fun!

    ReplyDelete