Monday, September 13, 2010

The Smart Kids

BYU is where the smart kids go.
Everyone here is a smart kid, and whereas in high school or at EA, I was considered one of the smart kids, here I am probably on the bottom most rung of smart kids.
(If we look at the population of BYU set up in a hierarchical ladder-type situation.)
Please don't think I'm saying that I am dumb because I don't think that at all. I'm not saying I'm a genius either...We'll just say that my mental capacity and abilities are...good? In decent working order?
But at BYU, everything is a competition. Especially if you're an English major (such as myself). I think all the human beings in my British Literature class are geniuses, or they act like geniuses in a show-offy-look-how-much-I-know kind of way. And they have me pretty dang well convinced that they are in fact geniuses. Maybe. Or show-offs. Whatever. I'm impressed.
Today we were discussing the components of pastoral poetry and these kids were using words such as: idyllic, bucolic, anomaly, and other big words I had never even heard of. I kept turning to Lora--who just so happens to be in almost all of my classes. I have no idea how that happened. Okay I do, we planned it that way.--to ask her if she knew what these words meant. She would frantically shake her curly head in the negative.
We decided we better start carrying copies of the dictionary with us to class.

4 comments:

  1. well, you better watch out cuz i use big words too! one time, i was talking with a friend and he said he just doesn't understand all the big words i use sometimes. i was floored. really?! like what? "well, we were just talking about such and such and you said one--tacky!" HA HA HAAAA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kimberly, that's tacky. ;)
    Kelly, I'm glad you have a friend in most of your classes. That's fun! I hope you figure out what poeple are saying. I don't think I've ever heard of ther word bucolic. It sounds like colic with puking involved. ;) i.e. I hope my baby doesn't have bucolic when he's born. That would be messy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA HA Haaa! :D You guys are hilarious!!! I think the kids in your class are a bunch of smarty pantses trying to top each other. But you, Kelly, are going to be humble, but don't ever think that you are humble, cuz if you do then you're NOT!

    Did you know that on dictionary.com (or is it websters)you can sign up to get a new vocabulary word in your email every day? Learn everything you can in your youth! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh oh, like word of the day. Expeditiously! :D You know that one! Toss it out there every once in awhile. I am sure it will come in handy! ;) PS Have I ever told you that you are a genius, and that I only wish I could get straight A's? I don't think that has ever happened ever! Okay...maybe kindergarten. :D Go me!

    ReplyDelete