Saturday, September 4, 2010

One Week Down

You've all been waiting on pins and needles for an update I know. Your week has been very nearly obsolete without my charming posts. Emphasis on charming. And witty. My posts are all so witty. So your wish has been granted: I am going to post today.
I have successfully completed my first week at Brigham Young University. It was only a complete success because my roommate Stephie reminded me at 8:30 pm that I needed to do my Doctrine and Covenants homework before midnight. The night before she had written me a sticky note so I wouldn't forget. But I did. I came home after a long day planning on doing everything but anything that had to do with schoolwork. Thankfully, Stephie had my best interests at heart. Certainly I would fail without her.
School is grand. Being here is...unbelievable. But along with being grand, school is hard. Really hard. Next to science, reading would probably be my worst subject. Unfortunately, that's all I ever do. Please don't misunderstand. I absolutely love to read. I love it, but I am a bad reader. I am really bad at it. I'm not illiterate, but reading is really hard. I am easily distracted. One word will make me think of five million other things, and before I know it, I'm finished with what I'm supposed to read and I couldn't tell you anything about what I just read, and I really don't have the time to read every over two or three times. So I'm working on that. Maybe being an English major is a bad idea, and I certainly feel like the dumb one in class compared to all the other English majors in my class. I'm working on it. I'll learn to focus.
On Thursday night we had a family "git togeether" at my cousin Ben's. Let me just say this: I have the greatest family. Surely my blog would be famous by now if I was as witty as them. I wish I could describe how great it was, but I'll just say that I laughed hard all night long. I don't think I'll mind spending eternity with such a great family.
Last night after going to the Provo temple and the quickest expedition to Walmart in all of history--except for when Risa and Lou completed a trip in a record five minutes--Ettie (Lynnette) had some friends over. They impressed us with magic tricks and Brian Regan impersonations. Brilliant. Then we played a few rousing rounds of B.S. and Pit. All good friendships are built on the foundation of card games. After they boys joined us in some peanut butter ice cream, they left and Ettie and I stayed up late to watch Ziegfeld Follies. We nearly wet ourselves when we watched this Red Skelton skit.
Today I'm going to read. I'm pretty sure the only thing I will read will be my homework. Maybe this time I'll understand Enlightenment era poetry. Maybe not. We'll see. And wonder or wonders, I get to do free laundry at my cousin Ben's house. I really am so lucky. Who cares if I don't understand poetry as long as I don't have to pay $5.00 in quarters to do my laundry.

3 comments:

  1. i HAVE been waiting on pins and needles! :) i'm so glad you like it up there! and what would you do without stephenie and lynnette? so glad you have them!

    i can't read either. it doesn't even matter if i read out loud. i think we are pretty talented--do many people have that gift? multi-tasking, that's what it is! ha ha

    ben is the best! so's the rest of our family. honestly. anders and cindy are coming over in a minute and i'm so stoked! good times. i'm so jealous you have ben and amy right there! boo for me. but yea for you! so lucky!

    SHMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTH! ha ha haaaa! did you see this one?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R39DLTMlGSE&feature=related

    he's so graceful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Ben and his git togeethers are the best. I'm jealous too! And my mind wanders when I read too. It is rather remarkable that you can read and think about something else at the same time. Well, give yourself and Lynnette a hug from me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Jennifer writing on Dad's computer (or Mom's). I might be totally off about this and ya'll may have had your eyes checked, but all I can say is reading glasses. I thought I was a bad reader too until I got reading glasses. The problem with me is that when I don't have them, the words seem to move around on the page and it is so much WORK to try to keep 'em where they're supposed to be that I'd forget what I was reading by the time I got through a paragraph.

    Go to Walmart (or a drug store), pick up a magazine off the shelves, head over the the reading glasses section and pick up some 1.00s. It will look blurry until something is right in front of your face, but try it. If the magazine is easier to read, they're WORTH $10.00.

    Also, don't get frustrated with your choice of majors, or college. We beleive in you. Just keep at it. Not all of us were readers like Christine or Lynnette.

    I'm glad you have family there and are having a good time. I'm sorry if I have way too much advice, but if I would have had reading glasses in college, I would have done so much better.

    The red Skelton clip is hilarios!

    Love ya!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete