Sunday, September 19, 2010

It's Better Than...

Yesterday, as I talked to my parents on the phone, and dried my tears with the back of my hand, and wiped my nose with some scattered leaves on the ground (to prevent having to use my hand of course) I came to the realization that things really aren't that bad.
Things are good.
Life is good.
Life is joy and I love it.

I may not have a job right now...
...but it's better than not having the challenge.

School may be demanding and unbelievably hard...
...but it's better than not having the opportunity to go to school at all.

I may be constantly tired and weary...
...but it's better than pulling a handcart across a continent.

Sometimes I may despair that my plans will never come to be...
...but it's better than not planning at all.

I may get sad thinking about my past...
...but it's better than not remembering.

Sometimes I may get lonely and miss my home and family...
...but it's better than having no family or home to miss.

Today I was reminded of why some things don't go according to the perfect designs we have for ourselves. We signed up for this. We joyfully decided for ourselves to come to this world to experience pain and trials. Some people say there is no God, that Jesus Christ was nothing but a man who taught good principles, and that we who believe are fools.
But I would rather live my life as best I can, hoping and believing that Jesus Christ suffered for my sins and that I can be with my family forever, than to have no hope at all.

"I don't know how to speak of heaven in the traditional, lovely, paradisical beauty that we speak of heaven...I wouldn't know how to speak of heaven without my wife , or my children. It would not be heaven for me." -Elder Jeffrey R. Holland

Sometimes I may be criticized for believing the way I do...
...but it's better than having no faith and no hope at all.



1 comment:

  1. Good job, Kelly. And you can know to that we all think of you guys who are too far away and we all hope everything will be well with you. I sure love ya!

    ReplyDelete