Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Wednesday Blues

I've been in school for six days now. Only six! It feels like I've been here for an eternity. The good news is, I'm not stressed out. Which is weird for me. It's feels nice. I'm busy, but not stressed. Life should always be that way.
But I think that the roomies and I just feel like we're in a rut. The EAC-fourth-semester-rut. Every day feels the same: school, work, cafeteria (the grilled cheese still tastes the same), gym, sleep (or the lack thereof). Day after day after day. The EAC-fourth-semester rut is comparable to "senioritis." That feeling where you're afraid to leave what is comfortable, but really ready to try something new. Lora is more than ready to leave the creepers that occupy the game room behind (see http://loracolleen.blogspot.com/2010/01/my-job.html) to join the masses of thousands of single LDS girls stealthily warding off returned missions at BYU in hopes of earning that greatly coveted diploma. Marisa is ready to pass on her job as the highly acclaimed publicity coordinator for all things ASEAC for either the snow covered campus of BYU-I, the engagement capital of the world (BYU), or the sunny beaches of BYU Hawaii.
As for me...who knows?
I love EAC. I always have. I've been planning on coming here since who knows when. Now I'm here and very nearly ready to leave. I never really thought of where to go after I was finished here. As a little girl I always wanted to be so many things that I never could decide on what I would do about it. So now not only am I in the EAC-fourth-semester-rut, but I am very nearly planless. I shouldn't say planless. I have more than enough plans. I just need to pick one. What a dilemma. So here is the list (Yes, another list) of pros and cons:
ASU
+Close to home
+Lots of family close by
+Sundevils/Great school colors
+Soon to be three temples in the area
+Quite a few friends down there already
+Institute
-Incredibly expensive (That's what scholarships are for!)
-It's too darn hot!
-Too many people
-Kind of liberal
NAU
+Close to home
+Cool weather
+Institute
-Hippie school
-Don't know anybody there
-Hippie school
-Oh yeah, and it's a hippie school
BYU
+Quite a few friends there
+Church school
+London program
-Really hard
-Weird attitudes about it
-Far away from home
-All the engagement crazinesss
-Loads of people
-Everybody hates it (well they love the people
and hate the school)
BYU-Idaho
+Smaller class sizes
+Church school
+Some friends there
+Good education program
-Freezing
-Located somewhere over the rainbow (far away)
-Freezing
So there you have it. You can decide for me if you want to.

8 comments:

  1. all the schools are incredibly expensive. so i guess you can't count that as a con! ha ha. sorry that doesn't help much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been strongly considering either ASU (Sun Devils!!!!) or BYU-I. One is blistering hot... the other one colder than my ex-girlfriend's heart. I love BYU-I's smaller classes and tri-semester setup, and utter lack of engagement-fever. I'm still not sure which one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, they're probably all good choices. I've never attended any of them.
    If you go to BYU-I you should look up Katie (Jeremy's little sister) who lives nearby. She'd take care of ya. :) And Rachel will be there next year. Becca's up there right now freezing her patootie off. :) But Rexburg really is a pretty place and has a lovely smaller town feel to it. And the Temple is right next to campus. It's pretty!
    Don't know anything about BYU.
    Jeremy roots for ASU (his Alma Mater), but not the president of ASU. It's hot and expensive, but there's definitely something to be said for family around. And Temples close by are always a huge plus! And I do agree that the colors are awesome.
    NAU really isn't so bad from what I hear. It's cold, but the trees are sure pretty. What I find intolerable about it is the streets in Flagstaff. They are thoroughly confusing and cramped.
    So there's what I know. Tough choice, but we're rooting for ya. And why not U of A? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe the prefered term is "granola" not hippie. Haha! NAU is nice, the institute is good, and the city is not so huge that you feel like a speck of dust in a sand box. And you'll be closer to home. The streets are cramped but there are a ton of quirky little shops. I kinda like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every time I think of Flagstaff and hippies, I think of Tanner shouting, "We're in a vortex!!" He made the hippies sound COOL, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I just stumbled upon your blog, and I don't konw if you remember, but I'd like to promote NAU :) I went from SJ to EA then To NAU and I loved it. Especially being from a small town, to a smaller/bigger town (Thatcher), Flagstaff was a perfect fit! I loved the Institute, it's fun! You get to know so many people and the teachers were awesome. And, the weather is fabulous, now that I live in the Valley, I miss Flag! Plus you can call yourself a LumberJill (for girls)! :) GO NAU! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i can't believe you haven't even mentioned the possibility of the nau extension program! then you can stay HERE!! ha ha :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. You forgot a few bullet points for BYU-Idaho
    -incredibly inexpensive compared to the others
    -GORGEOUS summers
    -fun snow!
    -Awesome weekly devotionals sometimes by general authorities
    -close to Canada

    but I must mention the HUGE con: NO FLIPFLOPS ):

    ReplyDelete