Thursday, November 8, 2012

The day I did nothing for my country.

You know that great thing that JFK once said: "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." I did the opposite of that on election day. Sorry Johnny Boy. Though unintentional, I did not vote in the 2012 presidential election (somehow the county failed to send me my absentee ballot). I was upset at first because I take the opportunity to vote quite seriously. My sister suffragettes did not suffer for nothing. But this election provided me with a unique opportunity to sit back and be a spectator of the goings on. Sadly enough, what I saw was worse than either outcome of the election.

Watching Facebook was like watching a soap opera. Undignified and disappointing. So many people I thought I had respected became vile and closed-minded. I say that of both parties. Democrat and Republican. Republican and Democrat. Humans are such strange creatures. If there is even the slightest reason to overreact, we will take that opportunity and throw a party with it. For the Republicans, Romney's loss meant that our government had suddenly become so corrupt that the Second Coming was surely just around the corner. I am certain that thousands of 72-hour kits were created in the past day or two as a result. For the Democrats, it became an opportunity to shove the outcome in the faces of the Republican's.

Though I would have gladly cast my vote on Tuesday, I feel that just for this once, it was better not to. I am in a strange way cherishing what I learned from this election. I can no longer view one party as better than the other, and I cannot view one candidate as the cure for America and the other as the Anti-Christ (and vice versa).

What I value is an adaptable opinion. Or least tolerance of others' opinions. What this election has shown us in that we are small minded, mud slinging, neanderthals. And I must certainly join the ranks even for saying so. I can't change the world, I can't hope to change the opinions of others to align with my own, but I hope to remember that no matter what I believe or uphold to be "right" politically will never again present itself as intolerant to the beliefs of others.

Let's go back to being the friends we once were.

-KB


7 comments:

  1. My favorite post was "Grab your ammo, grab your guns, and head for the hills!" Mountain men are mean and low dooow-own. Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, it really was awful. And I'm not even on Facebook. It's upsetting that everyone is so divided. It makes me wonder if it will ever be possible for all of us to work together? It seems if one party suggests anything, the other is all, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Name that movie!). No one can get anything done because they're all too busy calling names and not compromising. I just hate that we actually pay people loads of money to fix things and instead, well, I guess they actually are doing a fine job of representing us. Man. "Us" er ugly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! It's been mentioned in my class a few times now that perhaps Romney didn't get elected because his purpose is to be a general authority. I've realized that I'm friends with several prophets and psychics...it's rather exhausting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marx Brothers! I can't remember which one, but I started singing the song! I'm with you. I feel like we are divided as a nation and as a church. What happened to unity? Although, I have seen a lot of good comments, and kind words. Thank heavens for those!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelly--they did send you the absentee ballot, but it went to the wrong place. I'm so sorry. I forgot to text you or call you about it. It went to your old apartment.

    I like your thoughts on the experience, though. It's very interesting to be able to look back and be impartial.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kelly Badger. It is like you wrote a blog after my own heart! Didn't vote. Same opportunity. Same insights. I just love you :)

    ReplyDelete