Friday, May 11, 2012

The Bill Shakespeare Project







The summer holiday brings a multitude of joys such as warm weather, no schoolwork, sandals, cool shades, and general lackadaisical-ness. Unfortunately, because I work a full-time desk job, my brain has been greatly lacking in intellectual and emotional stimuli. The only thing I get excited about is watching Downton Abbey in the evenings with Carmen. As riveting and truly great as this show is, it hardly counts as a healthy dose of good old fashioned thinking.

Therefore, I have decided to "up the anti" in my summer reading list. My reading list is already quite lengthy and challenging, but I have been experiencing a great lack of passion in my life lately, just a general feeling of BLAH. So I'm bringing Bill back into my life. I've missed him a great deal.

My goal is to finish The Complete Works of William Shakespeare in the 15 weeks that remain of my summer vacation. I've already read twelve of his more major plays (Romeo and Juliet, Julius Caesar, Macbeth, Hamlet, A Midsummer Night's Dream, The Taming of the Shrew, Richard III, The Merchant of Venice, King Lear, The Winter's Tale, and The Tempest), but have yet to read the other 25 as well as his 154 sonnets. So please join me on this exciting journey through the works of the greatest playwright the world has ever known.

This week's plays: Twelfth Night and Richard II

25 plays yet to be read:
All's Well That Ends Well
As You Like It
Cymbeline
The Comedy of Errors
Love's Labour's Lost
Measure for Measure
The Merry Wives of Windsor
Much Ado About Nothing
Pericles
Troilus and Cressida
The Two Gentleman of Verona
Twelfth Night
Antony and Cleopatra
Coriolanus
Timon of Athens
Titus Andronicus
King John
Richard II
1 Henry IV
2 Henry IV
Henry V
1 Henry VI
2 Henry VI
3 Henry VI
Henry VIII

4 comments:

  1. I love Twelfth Night. Make sure you watch "She's the Man" after you read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of my favorites are on your "Yet to be read..." I really, really like Much Ado About Nothing (I don't know if there is a way to italicize that, and it's killing me a little because it's not italicized--You understand me, right, Kelly?). I also am a huge fan of As You Like It and Henry V. Henry V has one of the best speeches ever written in it. I miss you and I miss sharing my excitement about stuff like this with you. I have a solution--How about you give me a call when you are finished with Much Ado About Nothing, and we can watch the movie together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. You and Bill. So intense. ps. I like you!

    ReplyDelete