Friday, January 27, 2012

A chronic problem: Punctuality

I used to be the sort of person who was on time for everything. If you told me that we were hanging out with friends around 7:00, I was there at 6:55. Being fashionably late was a thing I just never did, I always chose to be fashionably early. I was also the sort of person who showed up to soccer practice 15 minutes early because I was not going to be the reason the team had to run extra laps. I firmly believed in the old adage: If you're not ten minutes early, you're late.

But since the days of high school, I have ceased to be punctual. I even had to erase "punctual" from the list of qualities on my resume. I have now become anti-punctual, and am a follower of the newer and more modern principle: If you're ten minutes late, you're still on time.

And the horrible thing about being anti-punctual is that no matter what I do, I am always running late. I can wake up an hour early and still be rushing to my class, or work, or church. How does this happen?

Because I am constantly running late, it has become my excuse for everything. And it's not even a lie.

Why didn't I do my hair today?
I was running late.

Why am I eating a packet of microwave oatmeal for lunch?
I was running late.

Why didn't I shower today?
I was running late.

Why was I late to class today?
I was running late.


I wonder if this disease is incurable...

2 comments:

  1. I'm afraid it's a chronic illness. I would give you... maybe 60 more years to live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This disease is NOT incurable! And you need to put "puntcual" back on your resume!

    ReplyDelete