Wednesday, March 2, 2011

A Late Night Kind of Post

Late last night (around midnight-ish), as I was doing the dishes still clad in my sweaty soccer clothes with my shin guards un-velcroed and flopping around my calves, I began thinking about what it was that I wanted out of my life.

I thought about the things that I wanted as a child, such as wanting to be an open-heart surgeon/astronaut/ballerina, having dark brown hair down to my bum, and having a husband with a British accent.

Then I thought about what I want now. The frivolous things such as having a pet dog named Asterix, the opportunity to travel the world, incredible style, becoming a brilliantly famous writer, getting more sleep, and having a husband with a British accent.


I plunged my hands into the no-longer soapy, gray water and thought about how my roommate would cringe if she were still awake. "Those things would be nice," I said to myself, "But I don't think that's what you really want." So I came up with some new things.

Most of all and most importantly, I want my life to be centered on the gospel of Jesus Christ. I want my nieces and nephews to always think I'm the coolest aunt even if I tell them I think video games are mind-numbing and that I would rather talk about something else. Someday I want to have a home filled with laughter, love, music, dancing, and big words. I want a mind always ready with good advice and hands always busy with work whether it be writing, doing to dishes, pulling weeds, or sewing on patches. I want to read every book on my list of "things to read" even if it takes me the rest of my life. I want people to see me and say the the person next to them, "If you don't know her, you should. She is a great person to know, and she'll make you laugh if you talk to her long enough." And you know, I think wanting a husband with a British accent will always be a constant.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you are still playing soccer! Good for you! I love this post! And I love you too! :)

    ReplyDelete