Monday, August 24, 2009

The Saturday Night Fro and the Ghettoway Car

Quite a bit has happened since my last post, and I know you have all been anxiously waiting on pins and needles until I updated. I started moving out of Kimberly and Emmett's (more affectionately known as Kemmett's) on Thursday. I did not want to move out at all, so I took as little as possible and random points throughout the weekend. Some of my stuff is still at their house because it's saving my spot there. It was so nice to have a home this summer. Maybe it's just me, but when I went off to college for my first year, I felt rather like a homeless orphan. So I have been extremely grateful for Kimberly and Emmett these past two years. Thanks! I am officially moved into the dorms, but I haven't eaten in the cafeteria yet. I think I'm waiting until I am absolutely about to die of starvation before I enter that rotten hole. It's not that the food is awful, it's decent most of the time, it's just that the company is lacking in well...certain desirable manners and...everything that is decent and tasteful. Nicely said eh? I am rooming with Marisa Brown and Lora Patterson again, and it's a blast. We still don't have a fourth. I think we're hoping we don't get one so we can use her closet and extra drawers. Every girl could always use an extra drawer or two. The chiller in the AC unit is out, and so I am in a constant state of perspiration. Lora's walls have actually began to sweat as well. Well they're either sweating, or a pipe has burst above us. I don't know what is worse. Would you rather have a broken pipe or sweating walls? But all is well.

I finally sold my car! Hip hip hurray! I'm kind of sad though, because I never got a picture of it. I don't know how that is even possible, because Mama takes pictures of everything. So unfortunately, there is no photographical evidence that I ever owned a '93 Ford Tempo that earned such great names as Hurb, The Rez Ride, and the Ghettoway Car.

For the past two weeks I have been practicing for the Miss Graham County pageant. No, I was not a contestant. I was dancing with my dance class for the opening number and then with Carrie in another number. We were asked to put together a dance to Super Trooper the Monday before the show. So much for not getting stressed out about it. We finally got everything choreographed thanks to Tyra. We practice and practiced and finally got it down. Although it's hard to look good when you're dancing with your sister-in-law who is basically the Beyonce of EAC. But beside that fact we were at least on the same beat. We then decided to add Tyra to our dance because she knew the whole dance and three just looked much better than two. So Tyra was in. The only problem was we were the backup dancers for three guys who were singing the song, and we couldn't figure out how to position ourselves so everyone would be seen. The night before the show, Rachel--my beloved Australian fireball of a dance teacher--decided to throw in another girl to balance it. So Ashley was in. She was to be taught the whole dance in one night that had taken me hours of practice throughout the week to get. I was a little less than thrilled. I wasn't mad that she was dancing with us, but I was already tired of dancing and very sweaty--I tend to sweat a lot in this post--and very hungry. And a tired, hungry, smelly, Kelly is not a happy Kelly. We spent about an hour trying to teach it to her. We took out some harder parts and decided just to repeat the whole beginning to make it easier. After a few choice words on her part and lots of practice, she decided not to dance with us. So Ashley was out. Well we couldn't dance with three, so Tyra stepped down because she wasn't originally dancing, so it was back to just Carrie and me. So the night of the show we donned our polyester pants suits and froed our hair. Carrie's actually looked like a decent fro, mine to say the least looked and felt like a tumble weed. But we got a few good laughs and shouts and whistles from the audience and had a good time, except for the fact that it was hard to remember what we had changed from the night before so we just shook our hips a lot. We were glad that it was over. After the performance I got lots of congratulations from people and giggles from little girls. My fro after all wasn't very inconspicuous. Outside it was raining and the moisture caused my hair to expand about an extra inch. After taking out the bobby pins it expanded even more. I didn't think it was possible. Marisa and I made a run to Sonic for some dinner and luckily for me, Sonic was the place to be on a Saturday night. I don't know why all of those kids decided to congregate around my car, but they did. And after taking a little bit longer than normal, the carhop had to apologize for taking so long. I can guarantee that that was the first time he ever had to apologize to a girl with a four inch fro.

1 comment:

  1. happy first day of school! we miss you already. hope you get to come tomorrow night! bring your roommates too! :D

    ReplyDelete