Monday, November 8, 2010

Right as Rain

As you might have guessed, it rained today; a steady, chilling drizzle all the live long day. I knew it would probably rain today, but I didn't really remember until I ran outside barefoot and in short sleeves with my phone so that I could have service enough to talk to my sister on the phone. I was freezing after five minutes. Next time I will be prepared and at least have some shoes on. After a good half hour of laughter with my sister, I ran back into the house, put on my shoes and my jacket and drank hot chocolate for breakfast. I thought I was warm enough to walk to school in just a sweater, but oh boy is Utah rain in November different from Arizona November rain...in that we don't really get rain in November. Nevertheless, I went on my merry way, and quickly froze. I walked through several large puddles that I absolutely could not get around unless I wanted to make a major detour. It goes without being said that my pants from mid-calf to toe were completely soaked, as were my socks inside my supposedly water-proof shoes, my jacket was no longer warm, and my bangs were no longer straight. For the remainder of the day I smelled...damp. Not wet like a dog, but just damp and moist. I also missed a few close impalements by the hundreds of umbrellas milling around campus. Eventually, I dried out in time for my last couple of classes, but then I just had to wade through slightly smaller puddles all the way home. It wasn't a bad day, and I loved the rain despite the nasty things it did to my hair. My next few weeks will be filled with attempts to ward off any and all attempts of those around me to listen to Christmas music a month early. I say, it's not time to listen to Christmas music until December 1st. However, I will allow a little leeway for Christmas music the day after Thanksgiving since it does "officially" begin the Christmas season. Bah humbug! (Until December). So while everyone else gets hyped up for Christmas, I am going to enjoy November with the rain and the leaves until it snows...tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. went to wal-mart and first thing when you walk in is their GIANT Christmas tree. bah humbug indeed! now my kids are REALLY sure it's almost Christmas (and that you're coming soon!). :D it'll be a long wait. boo! glad i got to talk with you anyway. and hey, i went to gimpy's reception and i can tell you this: you should be SO glad you didn't marry him. i am pretty sure you would've died of embarrassment a few times just that night. ha ha haaaaaa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Institute today while I was studying before my last class, I heard Christmas music floating up to me, and I quickly turned and spoke down to that class that they just better stop. They didn't listen, so I tried to drown it out. Got it outta my head easier than the one we got stuck in our head at Wal-Mart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And here I am wishing I had a CD player in my big ol' van so I could listen to James's Christmas mixes. I guess I figure I have so little time to enjoy those each year I'd better start early and get as much enjoyment out of them as I can. :) Cuz after Christmas they are off limits.
    You're gonna catch pnmnmnmnmomneumonia! Wear shoes! And a coat! Didn't your mother teach you? He he. :) I guess the message never got through to Jennifer either. He he he. :)
    But congrats on getting the November Rain song in my head. ;) It's been a while since I've thought of that one, and you probably have no idea what I'm talking about. Darn.
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is Mama. This post made me laugh! I'm at Christine's right now tending the kids while she's at the doctor. You all made me laugh! :D We need a good laugh every day so I think somebody better update their blog every day!

    ReplyDelete